Be A Team Player - Be You
I’ve been writing short blogs about being YOU for a couple years now. There is always a time in our sports where a special blog needs to be written. Today it is BE A TEAM PLAYER!
* This is the time of year when players and their families forget what it means to be on a team. Softball and Baseball are full blown businesses but without a team to play on you are NOTHING.
* Be thankful to your Coach, Clinician, Recruiter, Trainer, Team mom and everyone else that helps you play this game! Without those before you teaching you what they know, you are NOTHING.
* Pay your dues, financial commitments included. NOTHING in life is free and it shows your character when you don’t pay and others have to pay for YOU! If you were really FREE then everyone would be FREE, what makes you so special?
* Don’t give scholarships, make them earn their extra help and support if your team chooses to help a person less advantaged. Teach them to be grateful and willing to work for your support. I’ve always said “FREE has no Value”.
* When on a team consider that there are only 9 spots but you can’t form a team with only 9. When you get to College there will be more than 20 players, maybe up to 40 in Baseball. Learn to play a role. Learn to Share. Learn to Give. Learn to Learn from someone else challenging your spot!
* Learn that there is ALWAYS someone that is better than you at this game! There is also always someone else that you can teach what you know, so share!
* Be flexible, your role is every changing and never stays the same.
* Be committed when you join a team, stay to the finish. Ride it out till the end of the season.
* Don’t quit, you’re cheating others that you committed to play with and you have taken playing time away from others on the team.
* Make friends, we’re all so much alike and those friends will be with you forever.
* Learn how to lose. We forget to teach how to lose and how it should make you want to work harder to win.
* Stop protecting your children from adversity, teach them how to “cope”, how to overcome. Teach them how to persevere.
* Be Bold enough to talk for yourself when issues arise.
* Understand that it is a coaches’ prerogative to make changes and decisions and doesn’t have to discuss them with ANYONE!
* Be You as your behavior defines your CHARACTER!!!
Be Straight Forward. Be Transparent. Be Accountable. Be Loyal. Be Dedicated. Be a Hard Worker. Be Nice. Be Kind. Be Helpful. Be Friendly. Be a Resource. Be Happy. Be a Listener. Be Genuine. Be Valuable. Be Positive. Be Confident. Be Competent. Be Honest. Be Consistent. Be Thoughtful. Be Considerate. Be a Giver. Be Humble. Be Ethical. Be Forgiving. Be Respectful. Be Prosperous. Be Promoting. Be Supportive. Be Sincere. Be Loving. Be Healthy. Be Trustworthy. Be Funny. Be Interesting. Be Inspirational. Be Classy. Be Instinctive. Be Inspirational. Be Glorious. Be Likeable. Be Authentic. Be Complimentary. Be Brilliant. Be a Leader. Be Grateful. Be Abundant. Be Motivational. Be Visionary. Be Understanding. Be Bold.
Most of all Be You. * Be You as your behavior defines your CHARACTER!!!